Whales And Games
Based in Portugal and Mexico
March 30, 2017
Press / Business contact:
Whales and Games is a small indie game development collective centered on designing games about mindless fun and discovery. We develop projects mostly on our personal free-time, with our released projects mostly originating from game jams such as Ludum Dare, in which we work with different temporary and project-specific affiliates.
Our games are designed to be about mindless fun and discovery, and hopping to bring a smile to the player’s faces. We focus on creating small and easy-to-learn game loops that can easily be expanded with new content, attempting to diversify our games without never changing their main experience. We’re constantly trying new stuff and expanding our game repertoire!
Our game development history officially began with the release of The Farming One in 2014 under our original pen name of Team 2 Words, a name we eventually discontinued as we moved into other areas of interest. Years later, we decided to regroup in 2016 with the release of Colossorama for the Ludum Dare 36.
Since Colossorama's release, we've been developing new short video game projects during game jams, personal side projects, and on various other occasions, leading to a creation of our unique and mostly-experimental game roster that's available today.
With all of experiments and side-projects, it was by the time of Ludum Dare 38 that we officially formed the brand Whales and Games, with Petty Puny Planet being the first game to debut our new sparkling logo and mascot.
As we dwell into new, bigger projects, our uncertain future is at its brightest. We can barely wait to see what we can discover.
Not the channel, not the movie spacecraft, and certainly not anagnorisis (although that could come in handy depending on future projects). For Whales And Games, and possibly some dictionaries, Discovery means finding something new. Finding something different among the known. Learning and understanding something that hasn’t been seen before. Doing something old in a new light.
Here at Whales and Games, we want our games to focus on Discovery. As videogames become more common than ever, some genres go stale or dissipate from the players’ minds because of repetition and lack of novelty.
With Discovery at a core, our objective is to subverse expectations and offer something new. It’s not every day that new video game genres are born, but applying a new spin to a known formula can make up for a brand-new experience, both to our team and to the people playing our games.
The plan is to make “fresh” games. Something worth exploring and sharing, with experiences that players can enjoy. By trying new genres, themes and techniques, each project is a new adventure, and every finished game is a mystery box.
There are currently no trailers available for Whales And Games. Check back later for more or contact us for specific requests!
There are far more images available for Whales And Games, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
- "Colossorama (an indie game in development by Whales And Games) seems like a great indie game and really deserves the support that it can get. I’m not much of a fan of fighting games, but I really did enjoy seeing what this game had to offer, and I’m sure you’d like to try it out for yourself! With it offering plenty of features, and that it’s available for all operating systems, I feel this is why it deserves to be labeled as a featured game!"
- David Strickland, Early Access Gaming
- "Petty Puny Planet has many random options and events that can really change your planet, as well as many different endings to explore. It’s got a great sense of humor and it’s great fun experimenting with different options to see how they affect your cute little planet. A God sim that lets you enjoy being a God and not worry too much about the (often bizarre) ramifications of your actions!"
- Jupiter Hadley, Alpha Beta Gamer
- "Practically hidden away in a corner of 4Gamers - the event that run parallel to Iberanime during the weekend at MEO Arena - was the modest but excellent Sunset Shockwave. It's colorful, it's fun, it's simple, it's addicting and... it's free! And in case you're not impressed yet, here's another fact: Sunset Shockwave was developed by three young developers in only two days!"
- João Namorado, Vida Extra (In Portuguese)
itch.io Profile Page
Whales And Games Profile on the itch.io store front where all of our currently released games are hosted at. https://whalesandgames.itch.io.
Newgrounds Profile Page
Whales And Games Profile on the Newgrounds web portal where we're currently re-releasing our web-supported games. https://whalesandgames.newgrounds.com.
Team & Repeating Collaborators
Jorge Carvalho (JorgeGameDev)
Co-Founder (Tophat) and Lead Programmer
José Sanchez (The Moski)
Co-Founder (Tophat) and Lead Artist