Whales And Games
March 30, 2017
Press / Business contact:
Whales And Games is an indie game development team designing mindlessly fun and iterative games full of whaleistic personality. We develop several projects, with some of our flagship games debuting as game jam entries. We’re also currently setting up plans for longer-term and larger-scale iterative games.
We are creating small and easy-to-learn game loops that can be easily expanded with fresh new content that allow us to diversify our games, while also giving more value to their core experience. We’re constantly trying out new stuff and expanding our ever-growing game repertoire.
History & ValuesHistory
Our history with game development spiritually began with the release of The Farming One in 2014, signed under a different pen-name that we eventually discontinued as we moved into other new areas of interest. Back in 2016, we decided to regroup with the release of Colossorama, created for Ludum Dare 36.
Since Colossorama’s release, we’ve been developing new short, experimental and full-of-personality video-game projects through game jams, personal projects, and during various other occasions, leading to the creation of our unique and mostly-experimental game roster that is available today.
With all the experiments and side-projects, we officially formed and kicked-off Whales And Games during Ludum Dare 38 with Petty Puny Planet being our first game to make use of our symbolic embleem, logo and full-of-life mascot, Polite Whale.
As we dwell into newer, longer-term and larger-scale iterative projects, our uncertain future is at its brightest. We can barely wait to see what we can discover.
Whales and Games has been built with pillars and foundations in the form of our core values. Thus, it is form with the ideas of inclusiveness, iteration and, being proud of it, what we call Whaleism.
Whaleism is a spoof of the word holism, which refers to understanding an entity - an idea, a mechanism or even a person - as a complete being conformed by different parts and factors, where the whole, instead of the parts, are what matters.
In the context of Whales and Games, our whaleistic personality refers to the integration of all the aspects of the team. Our members, our games, our fans, our marketing, our systems are a cohesive amalgamation, which together can perform a harmonious universe, new and bigger as its separate areas expand.
The team is also building upon the idea of iteration. Some of the projects have moved on from the idea of “release and forget”. Current and future games are being planned with the idea of constructing them with bases on which we can later on expand. Ideally, our best projects will not be “fully complete” unless they reach their logical conclusion.
There are currently no trailers available for Whales And Games. Check back later for more or contact us for specific requests!
There are far more images available for Whales And Games, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
- "Colossorama (an indie game in development by Whales And Games) seems like a great indie game and really deserves the support that it can get. I’m not much of a fan of fighting games, but I really did enjoy seeing what this game had to offer, and I’m sure you’d like to try it out for yourself! With it offering plenty of features, and that it’s available for all operating systems, I feel this is why it deserves to be labeled as a featured game!"
- David Strickland, Early Access Gaming
- "Petty Puny Planet has many random options and events that can really change your planet, as well as many different endings to explore. It’s got a great sense of humor and it’s great fun experimenting with different options to see how they affect your cute little planet. A God sim that lets you enjoy being a God and not worry too much about the (often bizarre) ramifications of your actions!"
- Jupiter Hadley, Alpha Beta Gamer
- "Practically hidden away in a corner of 4Gamers - the event that run parallel to Iberanime during the weekend at MEO Arena - was the modest but excellent Sunset Shockwave. It's colorful, it's fun, it's simple, it's addicting and... it's free! And in case you're not impressed yet, here's another fact: Sunset Shockwave was developed by three young developers in only two days!"
- João Namorado, Vida Extra (In Portuguese)
itch.io Profile Page
Whales And Games Profile on the itch.io store front where all of our currently released games are hosted at. https://whalesandgames.itch.io.
Newgrounds Profile Page
Whales And Games Profile on the Newgrounds web portal where we're currently re-releasing our web-supported games. https://whalesandgames.newgrounds.com.
Team & Repeating Collaborators
Jorge Carvalho (JorgeGameDev)
Co-Founder and Lead Gameplay Programmer
José Sanchez (The Moski)
Co-Founder and Lead Artist
Robin Couwenberg (RobinhoodPT)
Lead Sound Designer and Assistant Programmer
Henry Smith (PonchoGuy)
Sound Designer and Assistant Programmer
Leonardo Scur (Kroltan)
Gameplay Software Architect