Whales And Games
Originally Released August 2016
The Champions Update Releasing October 2019
Game Jolt (PC/Mac/Linux/Web)
Armor Games (Web)
Colossorama is a single-player hack-and-slash high-score side-scrolling game centered around the titular event of the Colossorama, an entertainment activity proposed by the gods, where gladiators fight against each other and plenty of other beasts with the promise of eternal glory.
Starting with a gladiator (with 30 different ones to unlock) the player can jump into the main game mode, where the character will have weapons and items to slay enemies or heal themselves. At the end of each wave, the player is presented with a set of three new unique weapons and/or items to choose from, replacing whatever they currently have equipped in said slots. Swapping weapons or equipping items is mandatory, causing players to adapt and form new strategies on the go.
Aside from the main game mode, there are assorted challenges that add modifiers to the core game experience. With over 150 weapons and items to equip, plenty of challenges, four arenas to fight on, diverse enemies to slat, characters and achievements to unlock, and leaderboards to keep the competition flowing, there’s a lot to see!
Pitch & HistoryGame Pitch
Welcome to Colossorama! An arena built for the most savage gladiators, sorcerers, beasts and gods! Take a sword, ditch if for a hammer, swap it with a bow, wield staves, and more! Put your adaptability to test by constantly swapping between dozens upon dozens of weapons! Slash, hack, pummel, set things ablaze, freeze, pierce, and more!
Face bloodthirsty gladiators! Survive against executioners! Go toe-to-toe against champions, archers and voodoo sorcerers! There’s also lions, golems and bats! A lot of bats! But hey, that’s just another day for the soon-to-be greatest gladiator of all time. Get in there and slay until your name is engraved in the Pantheon of Gladiators! These heads won’t chop themselves, you know?
Colossorama originally began as a game jam project made during the Ludum Dare 36 event, an open online event for people to make games within a weekend. Developed as Whales and Games’ first Unity project, Colossorama 36 was released back in September of 2016. The game, in its initial form, featured only one character and close to 20 weapons and items.
During the next couple of years, working on the game on-and-off, we have updated it to have more solid mechanics, unlockable characters, new enemies, brand new graphics, challenges and more. The core experience continues to be the same, with the game loop of selecting between three weapons or items at the end of each wave. However, the game feels far more dynamic, with status effects, ranged weapons, unexpected combinations of weapons, and unlocks.
Our first version of Colossorama featured 19 weapons and items. We added 16 more for our first update and 31 on the second update. We’re currently working on the next update - which is almost a complete overhaul of the game - and we’ve increased the pool to feature a total of over 150 weapons and items, on top of an extensive cast of unlockable characters, completable challenges, achievements, leaderboards, stats, in-game lore, and more!
- Test your adaptability skills! After surviving a wave, you’re forced to pick between a new Weapon or Item before being sent off to fight another round! Keep swapping until you get the weapons you like the most, or keep exchanging weapons to find new strategies!
- Speaking of weapons and items, there’s over 150 of them all-together! Will you choose ranged over knockback? Healing over speed? Status effects over damage? You might even come across some fun ones!
- There’s swords, spears, axes, hammers, scythes, staves, rods and many more! Some of them even inflict poison, freezing, stunning, invincibility, throw projectiles, create orbital defenses and even as well!
- You may fight in Colossorama mode for the core head-slashing experience, or choose from one of the many challenges! There’s fast paced combat, moon gravity, powerful enemies only and even a party mode for good measure!
- There’s a whole set of 30 playable characters, achievements and even lore tidbits to unlock! Complete additional challenges across all game-modes, try-out all of the weapons and upgrades to complete your Armory and strive for completion!
- Track your stats, survive through day, night and rain, and write your name into the Pantheon of Gladiators (also known as Leaderboards)!
Announcement Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Indiedome 2016 Selected" Colossorama was selected for Indiedome 2016 for showcase for specific-hours during the weekend.
- "Colossorama (an indie game in development by Whales And Games) seems like a great indie game and really deserves the support that it can get. I’m not much of a fan of fighting games, but I really did enjoy seeing what this game had to offer, and I’m sure you’d like to try it out for yourself! With it offering plenty of features, and that it’s available for all operating systems, I feel this is why it deserves to be labeled as a featured game!"
- David Strickland, Early Access Gaming
Whales And Games Facebook
Facebook page for Whales And Games where we frequently post updates and new screenshots of the game. facebook.com.
Whales And Games Twitter
Twitter page for Whales And Games where we frequently post updates and new screenshots of the game. twitter.com.
About Whales And Games
Whales And Games is an indie studio designing mindlessly fun games and art brimming with whaleistic personality. We develop several projects, with some of our flagship games debuting as game jam entries. We’re also currently setting up plans for longer-term and larger-scale iterative games.
We are creating small and easy-to-learn game loops that can be easily expanded with fresh new content that allow us to diversify our games, while also giving more value to their core experience. We’re constantly trying out new stuff and expanding our ever-growing game repertoire.
More information on Whales And Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Colossorama • The Champions Update Credits
Jorge Carvalho (JorgeGameDev)
Lead Developer and Designer
José Heredia (The Moski)
Artist and Graphic Designer
Robin Couwenberg (RobinhoodPT)
Music Composer and Sound Design